Saturday, December 20, 2008

My Dad is better then your Dad.


Spike turns 65!

Yikes, I'm pretty sure that means retirement, however for some reason, I can't see my Dad ever retiring. It also means senior citizen discounts, but you would never catch him cashing in on that bonus either. Watching my Dad turn 65 is strange. To me that is old, but my Dad isn't old, in fact he is far from it. My Dad is the most amazing man ever and I am so grateful for the example he has given me throughout my life. Do you want to know something else about my Dad?
Here goes:
1. My Dad is a helicopter pilot. In fact its a known fact that he is, well, the best.
2. My Dad can fix anything. Things that should just be retired but won't get the opportunity because my Dad will just fix it. In fact he can keep things up and running longer then probably anyone. (examples, the BBQer, the rototiller-handed down from my grandpa,who retired it and refixed by my dad, the jeta-which probably has one million miles on it, his 1990 computer that I think I used in highschool, just recently replaced because it was faster to walk anywhere you were trying to find on the internet, remember the first cell phone ever made? only because it didn't fit in his pocket anymore was it retired-He is the man who has everything, only because he won't have it replaced.
3. His garden is amazing. Growing up I hated the garden. Now I wish I had the room for it. The dirt in that thing is like gold. Its been tilled, fertilized, and de-rocked for over 30 years and produces vegetables worthy of the state fair. He always has some new technique he is trying each year and every year it works.
4. There is nothing too hot for my Dad. I love that he likes things spicy, he seems to always know which mexican restaurant is the best, and could possibly be the only person with an empty Tabasco bottle in the garbage every week.
5. My Dad helped me put in our sprinklers when we moved into our house, and by help, I mean did, and let me think I did it. What's nice about this is, he makes you feel like there isn't anything you can't do on your own. "If it needs to be done, try and figure out how to do it" attitude.
6. He is an awesome mechanic. I think I sound like a genius when I take my car into get fixed, only because I have already talked to my Dad. I throw down the lingo like I already know what they are going to find and give recommendations before they can. And you know what? I'm usually right.
7. My Dad was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. He runs every day and has lost enough weight that he needs new pants, only because he needed a new belt. See, he wouldn't get new pants, he just tightened his belt until there were no more holes left- Now he needs both. Regardless, I am so proud of him for getting his blood sugars down.
8. My Dad is the hardest worker ever, and has taught me the same. There isn't anything I appreciate more then that, and I hope its something that I can pass on to my kids as well.
9. Did you know Dad serves in the Provo Temple every week. I love it! If you ever go there in the morning you can find him there. He is the handsome one.

Dad- I love you so much and hope you have a wonderful Birthday! Can we get 65 more?

2 comments:

Ms. Mort said...

Don't forget he also is really good at raising lovely children that he can be very proud of.....the apple never falls too far from the tree you know.

Readfamily said...

I had the same thoughts Ms. Mort had...Like Father, like Daughter! With Kelly around...anything is possible!
What a sweet post!